restoration of thecinigiano (gr)
castle of colle massari
Despite there are no documents that could allow historians to exactly date the building complex called Colle Massari, traces of the existence of the Parish Church of Santa Marta lead to the hypothesis that the castle had already been built in the thirteenth century. The four-sided built-up area included three buildings and several circular-based corner towers (three of which still exist), which are typical of defensive buildings, and was built of cobblestones and terracotta bricks, for which a special furnace was set up at the time. The restoration work of the entire complex carried out around 1650 was certainly performed by the Patrizi Marquises, who owned the castle and land in the area of Paganico. Restoring the interiors of the complex and converting it for residential use has involved adding other functions, such as the fitness area, which has been created by converting an old shelter for sheep and the stables of the castle, which the owners do not need but which are useful for reinforcing the eastern side of the property.